A Farm Tour for Families
Your family is invited to embark on an agricultural adventure through the stunning historic ‘Iole ahupua’a. Discover various ways to live in harmony with the earth while exploring traditional and contemporary methods of sustainable agriculture on three farms all located on the same beautiful, historic property. This tour is specifically designed for young people of all ages and their families, and features:
- Hawaiian pre-contact sustainability practices at a historic lo’i kalo (wetland taro patch)
- An educational stroll through the largest organic* macadamia nut orchard in the state of Hawai’i
- Polynesian agroforestry and Permaculture techniques
- Deepening appreciation of sense of place through Hawaiian mo’olelo (cultural history)
- Observation game scavenger hunt
- Locally-sourced organic* snacks
- Connection with the natural environment as you walk from farm to farm on beautiful nature trails
Tours run twice monthly on Wednesdays from 10am-12pm Tours may also be booked for custom dates and times for groups of 6 or more. Please visit http://www.kohalainstitute.org to learn more and purchase tickets.
*Non-certified organic. All farms are pesticide and herbicide free and use sustainable farming practices.
Kohala Institute at ‘Iole
53-496 ‘Iole Rd., Kapa’au